Thursday, March 27, 2008

What a nice day!

I ran 10 miles at the Bull Run Trail. It was so peaceful. Just me, some deer, tons of smaller, unseen (but heard) animals. The first 5 was from the Centerpoint Road access point to near-abouts Hemlock Park. The sign said that Hemlock Park was 5 miles away. I got to the 5 mile point (on my GPS), but I guess I didn't make it all the way to Hemlock Park. I was too tired to keep going even 1/4 of a mile to see if I would find it. I rested for 5 minutes and then turned around and headed back. My return time was a little slower, as I was more conservative and power walked (actually shuffled) on the more steep hills. However, on the flats and slight downhills I actually kept up to my normal 'road' pace. Overall, I am VERY happy I ran the 10 miles on the trail. However, I am *exhausted*! After running this distance on the road, I still wouldn't be feeling so tired after 6 hours. I guess trail running is good for you after all.

Blisters... Can you believe it? I got my first blister in *years* today. I don't know if it was the new sock brand or the Montrail shoes (trail running shoes). Hey, I like the Montrail shoes. I think they are great. However, my breaking-in period consisted of a 2 mile run, a 5 mile run, and some general walking around. Given that these shoes are heavy-duty, I guess they take a little longer to break in. I guess I'm used to the 'new generation' running shoes that require almost *no* breaking in.

Gosh, I remember back in high school when breaking in shoes consisted of about 2 weeks of blisters and pain in all areas of the foot. I *hated* breaking in shoes. So did the others on the track team. Now, after a 5 mile run, I consider my running shoes to be broken in.

One last note... you know that you live in a suburb when, on a beautiful and scenic trail run, you know you are close to the finish because you can hear the traffic. The traffic noise around here is considered background noise. You don't *hear* it anymore.. that is, until you actually *don't* hear it. It was quite noisy when I heard it again after running 8 miles of not hearing it. Wow.

No comments: