Friday, March 28, 2008

674.36

674.36. That's the total mileage of my Asics 2120 (no link -- they don't make that shoe anymore -- they have the 2130 now). I noticed over the past 100 miles or so that these shoes were breaking down. These 2120's are great shoes though. I have used Asics for years now. I felt a little bad abandoning them for the Saucony ProGrid Guide (mentioned here). However, I felt that it was necessary as I strive to move closer to a neutral shoe and away from the stability / motion control shoes. The next step is to find a shoe that is one step closer than the Brooks Adrenaline. These Brooks shoes (433 miles and counting) are also great shoes, but I would like to have less stability.

Keep in mind that I'm moving closer to a neutral shoe one (very small) step at a time. I started with removing my SuperFeet insoles. I also purchased Nike Free shoes (and only run in those once every 1 or 2 weeks). Now I'm moving one step away from the Asics 2120 (with the Saucony shoes). Maybe in a couple years I'll have totally neutral shoes. It's important to do it slowly to avoid injury. I've heard (from shoe sales people) that especially with the ChiRunning movement, people moving several steps at once and then getting injured. Essentially, you don't go from a leg cast to a 10k in one week. You need to build the strength up in your leg, and then slowly build up to a 10k distance. Okay, bad analogy, but the concept is the same -- running shoes have a *ton* of support that do the work that your lower leg and feet muscles should be doing. Because of that, these muscles are weak. As you reduce the support, you need to slowly build up your leg strength. If you try to transition too quickly, the end result is you sitting on the couch because you can't run due to injury. I don't want that.

Oh, I ran today as well. 4.4 miles with no time. Yesterday's 10 mile trail run really wore me out! Plus, My Lovely Wife and I are doing the SunTrust National Marathon (1/2 distance). They just announced that the Metro will be open early (5am) which is good and bad. Good in that we don't have to drive. Bad because they are open at 5am, and we'll need to catch the first train out (ouch).

Good luck to us tomorrow!

No comments: