Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Good Run

Today was a good run. I was scheduled to run for 70 minutes, based on my training plan. When I get a timed run (versus a mileage run), I try to run at a 'zone 2' aerobic level -- that is, keeping my heart rate at a good aerobic level to build stamina. Now, my heart rate monitor's battery died 2 years ago, so I translated the 'zone 2' into a 'conversational' pace (remember running before gadgets? You needed to actually listen to your body). Since I'm running alone, and not into talking to myself (at least out loud), I eventually translated the conversational pace into '1 breathe every 4 paces' -- I usually run at 1 breathe every 3 paces.

Sooo... long story short (well, not really anymore, as I've already told my story), the goal for my timed runs is to run at 1 breathe / 4 paces. Whew.

Anyway, I did improve from last week's 70 minute run, but the conditions were different. We'll see if I continue to improve next week.

Oh, I ran 7.8 miles in 1:10:32 today (versus 7.7 miles in 1:11:xx last week).

No comments: