Monday, January 21, 2008

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Okay, it's Monday, cold outside, weather.com says it's 10, my thermometer says its 13.3. At this temperature, who's to argue? I put in a good 6 just now, and 3 degrees didn't make a difference.

This is the first time in a long time (since last February, according to the news) that I've felt this cold. I had my warmest UnderArmor on, plus a warm top over it. If I wore this at 30 degrees, I'd be a ball of sweat in 10 minutes. Today, however, it took me about a mile to warm up. Legs got cold towards after 3 miles though. Not sure what that's all about. I had two pairs of pants on to help though.

Need to say this, if only to show to the world how dedicated (nuts) I am: my water bottle froze (again) today. I use the Nathan water belt. I converted from the Fuel Belt brand a year or so ago as I like the nozzles better and the tops fit better on the bottle. However, due to the wider mouth on the bottle itself, I guess that the Nathan bottle is is more exposed to the air. Therefore, the nozzles freeze in a higher temperature than the Fuel Belts do. In my experience, the Fuel Belt water nozzles froze at around 15 degrees. The Nathan brand freezes at around 25 degrees. The water itself doesn't freeze, although I do get ice cubes; the nozzles freeze, which ends up with the same result -- I can't get the water. However, at the end of the day, I can still say that I ran in weather so cold that my water bottle froze -- which doesn't mean anything to non-runners, and usually gets a 'big whoop' from runners. Doesn't mean I won't stop saying it though.

Peaceful in the neighborhood, lots of traffic on Fairfax County Parkway though (as usual). I'm beginning to wonder if running on the Parkway, no matter how convenient it is, is taking some of the fun out of running, as I hear the constant traffic going 60 mph nearby the whole way. I find that running through other neighborhoods is much more peaceful. The trouble is, how do I get to those other neighborhoods if I can't take the Parkway? Oh well, today's not the day to worry about it.

Legs felt heavy at the end, but I'm not going to worry about it too much, as it was pretty cold outside.

No comments: