Thursday, January 24, 2008

Triangle of Life, Part 2

As mentioned in the prior post, I got too busy to define the term 'triangle of life'. It was ironic in that the reason is part of the definition. Essentially, you can break up your time into three components: Work, Family, and Personal Fulfillment. Unfortunately, you can choose only TWO components to focus on at any point in time. For example, you can spend time exceling at your job and focusing on your kids, but that reduces the time for Personal Fulfillment (Running, for example). You could also train for an Ironman and Work, but essentially abandon your family in the process.

These are extreme examples, and no one (hopefully) will choose two items exclusive of the third item, but it serves a point: if work gets busy, and you don't want to spend *less* time with your family, your running will suffer. Conversely, you have read in magazines (printed and online) that you shouldn't start peaking for a marathon if you are starting a new project at work (or a new job), as work will take up more of your time.

A couple years ago, while training for my first marathon, I was getting up at 4:30 am, doing my run, going to work, coming home, eating dinner, and then going to bed. Needless to say, my Family time suffered. Now, I don't do that. If work or more important, Family time needs to increase, it's a no-brainer to let my Personal Fulfillment suffer.

Finally to answer the burning question, why couldn't I post this earlier this morning? I had to help get the kids up and I have a project at work -- ergo, my Personal Fulfillment time was reduced. 'Nuff said.

No comments: