Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Another Day

Went for a 70 minute run today. Tried to keep pace slower. As my batteries ran out on my heart rate monitor last year, and I never got new ones, I changed my 'pace' runs to try to keep my breathing steady -- 1 breathe every 4 paces. This keeps my pace steady (although it usually gets slower!).

Was very windy on the way back home, a steady head wind. That, combined with the 24-25 degree temp made the second half a little cold. Going out though, I got a little warm.

Someone told me that keeping my core warm will keeps my extremities warm. Today (and yesterday), my core was a little cold. I wonder if a vest would be worth the purchase. I'll need to investigate. The only about making winter purchases, though, that in this area, it's really only cold about 3 months out of the year. The rest of the winter is not cold enough to warrant tons of purchases. I'm more likely to get use out of summer long sleeve (UPF protection) gear.

While on the subject of purchases, my Lovely Wife and I were talking about gripping on ice during runs. Perhaps Trail Running Shoes would work? I'll stop by the local running store to see what they say. Once again, I'm hesitant about purchasing special gear just to stay on the ice -- as we only get ice a handful of days (watch, now that I've said this, we are going to get a solid week of ice!). Trail shoes would have the extra benefit of trail running, plus local hikes. So that might be worth it.

Tomorrow's run? Not sure. I'm sorta off schedule, but perhaps 4-4.5 if it doesn't snow and ice tonight.

No comments: