Saturday, February 16, 2008

End of week

End of week run, this time at Burke Lake. Decided to do 3 laps yesterday, as I couldn't decide where around my neighborhood I wanted to run 14 miles. I've been around the same ol' same ol' routes over and over again and I'm getting a little bored of them. If I decide to drive to a running spot, I've always thought that it had better be a good place, or it ain't worth the drive. This is fine for a running group or a scenic run, or in this case, running on softer ground at Burke Lake. I even wore my new trail shoes!

The first lap was great. Well under an 8:30 pace, probably closer to 8:20. The second lap was also very good, more or less at an 8:20 pace. The third lap... well.. I was beginning to feel a little tired. I stopped and had a GU gel to ensure that I had some energy. Then walked about 30 yards, and then started running again. Due to my fatique plus the short break, my first mile on the 3rd loop was in the 8:50's. I got it down to an average in the 8:40's for the lap, and that got my average pace for 13.83 miles at 8:28. All told, a very good pace -- and well under my goal marathon pace of 9:00.

My new trail shoes are coming along. I almost instantly replaced the shoe laces with Yankz (stretchy replacements for shoe laces) so that my shoes give my feet the right give (without being too loose or tight) and they don't come untied. Plus I used my new gaitors. Add to that a water belt with only two bottles (out of four), my Garmin 301, and needless to say, I was a total geek out there. If I had a bandana around my head it would be a total picture.

The gaitors are great. (gaitors? gaiters?) The last time I ran Burke Lake, I kept getting little rocks in my shoes. Now, I don't. Of course, I need (want) to use my trail shoes so that I can keep grip on the flat, level trail that 99.99% of other runners, walkers, baby strollers don't have any trouble with. Anyway, the shoes are great too. I can't wait to get back out on the Bull Run Regional Park trail.

No comments: