Saturday, March 6, 2010

Not a Bad Week

29.32 miles.  Not too bad. The last time I hit this mileage was way back at the last week of December, first week of January.  I was trying to hit 900 miles (I think) for the year, so I poured it on at the last part of December. So, over 2 months since I hit this mileage...

Why? well, it seems that I'm signed up for the National (Half) Marathon in a few weeks (March 20 to be exact).  I want to make sure that I can do the distance.  Now, today, I ran 10 miles at a sub-9 pace, I know I can *finish* the race, so that's good.  However, I want to make sure that the distance isn't too much.  I think I'm in good shape, but I'll have next week to get a long run in as well (10? 12? dunno).

So... shoes... I currently run in two pairs of shoes (not at the same time).  Adidas Adistars (700 miles), and New Balance 768 (300 miles).  Now, I love the Adidas, but they are *way* past due for replacements.  The New Balance, I don't love as much, however, they offer less support (which is what I'm looking for), so that's good.  What am I going to replace the Adidas with?  The doctor and physical therapoists all say to replace with motion control / stability shoes, and I understand why, but part of me believes that running in shoes that offer so much stability reduce the need for strong lower leg and foot muscles, which makes me more prone to injury.  The opposite end of this is running barefoot (something I've considered) or running in shoes that offer pretty much zero stability. The Vibram Five Fingers are basically feet coverings that prevent rocks and glass from poking your feet, but that's all the protection they offer.  What to do, what to do.... 

Stay tuned for more on this incredible saga!

2 comments:

John Yagerline said...

From a friend in facebook: Read your blog - I vote for new stability shoes. You don't want to get plantar fasciits!

John Yagerline said...

so, here's my reply: i agree.. somewhat. i think i may go with stability shoes for one pair, and then go with the opposite for the other pair. that way, i'll still build up my lower legs / feet muscles but without going all the way with no other option....