Thursday, March 18, 2010

Comments and Runs

So after my post yesterday saying that gosh, there's *no* way that pain on my bottom of my heel could be plantar fasciitis, one of my friends comment in facebook, that (and I'm paraphrasing here) 'hate to break the news, but *yes* the pain could certainly be plantar fasciitis, geesh' (maybe I added the 'geesh').  Huh.. she's right.  I always thought it was 'old man' pain -- something I got when I woke up and hobbled around the house until it went away.  Now that I think about it, it only happened when I increased my mileage, or increased by speed, or just trained in general :-)

So maybe I have it.  On the other hand, I've had it for a long time (I think).  It only happens after waking up, and after I've been sitting for awhile (mostly after I drive to work on days when I ran that morning).  But it goes away, and in the afternoon or evening, don't even feel it (unless I run then).  I'll have to keep an eye on it (plus, keep up with my stretching, which I'm not very habitual about).

I did run this morning. A nice, easy (9:13 pace), 3 miler wearing my Nike Free's.  Plus, the duct tape helped.  About a year ago, the heel fabric split along a seam.  At first, it didn't really seem to do anything bad.  However, this year, very noticeable now that there's a lot of dirt and sand on the roads due to the snow, every time I wore them I would get a pile of sand inside the shoe with the split seam in the heel.  So, after applying some very sticky duct tape to seal the seam, and voila! no more sand in my shoes.  I have a feeling that the duct tape is a fairly short term fix, but then again, I really don't feel like purchasing another pair of Nike Free's, nor anything made by Nike (click here for why).

Tomorrow, I should run.  Saturday, the National (Half) Marathon.  Metro opens at 5:00 am.. Working backwards to figure out what time I need to wake up to get ready and be at the metro at 5:00 am makes me think that I'll be getting up just as some late night party-goers will just be getting home... oy.

No comments: