Saturday, October 11, 2008

World Wide Half

Okay, this morning I ran 13.35 miles in 2:00:42 as part of the Phedippidations World Wide Half. Overall, I was very happy with the results.

It was my longest run the Frederick Marathon (in May), so my body wasn't quite ready, but last week I had run 10, and although I'm not training for a race right now, I'm glad I was able to do the distance.

I started at 6:15 am EDT this morning (for those of you tracking that, I hope that I had the same start as someone else running the 1/2!) I was a quarter-mile in when I heard the 'start horn' from Podcast #158 of Phedippidations -- the World Wide Half Official Podcast. I heard cheers from the crowds, and then spent the next hour listening to other runners providing very encouraging thoughts and words as well as a good song from Black Lab.

The first 6 miles were very good. It was still a bit dark out, and the miles flew by. At mile 7, I veered off my planned course and then spent the next 6 miles trying to figure out how to use my current out and back runs together to make one big run. I managed to combine various parts of 5 other runs to make up the difference.

At mile 9 I realized that I wasn't quite ready for quite a long run and it took a little bit to get past my personal little 'wall'. At mile 11 I was feeling pretty good again, although my pace had dropped off.

The last mile felt very good. I had a sub-9 pace for that mile and my cardio felt very good (my legs, on the other hand, felt a little tired).

Now, 8 hours later, my legs are still a bit tired, and I walk a bit funny when I stand up, but I'm very happy I ran the World Wide Half today.

No comments: