Saturday, April 12, 2008

Got 20 in, but...

Well, I got my 20 in. That was good. However, my pace seems to be dropping off. I don't have I have much hope for a 4 hr marathon in two weeks. My pace was a 9:13, which would put me in the 4:04 time range, but that doesn't take into account that with today's pace, I was starting to drop off, and the last 6.2 miles wouldn't be at the 9:13 pace. Oh well, we'll see. A 4:10 would be good, a 4:05 would be just like Richmond last fall, and a sub 4:00 would match last year's Frederick marathon pace. As long as it doesn't match my MCM time (4:30's), I'll be fine :-)

It was my hottest run (in Northern VA) of the year. I was dripping sweat by mile 2. The sun was going in and out of the clouds, and it got mostly cloudy towards the end, but it was in the mid 60's the whole time. I guess I gotta get used to it though -- Spring is coming (yay!)

Overall, I'm pretty happy about the run. The first half felt great. I intentionally tried to keep my pace around 9 for the first several miles. In the past, I didn't mind pushing it, but then I bonked at the end. Today, I was hoping that keeping my pace around 9 for the first half, then I'd still have strength to stay at 9 the whole time. I was probably ahead a bit at the turn around point. I ate my 1/2 PB sandwich and started running back. Unlike last week, my first few miles felt good after my sandwich (last week, it was all I could do to run after walking to eat). However, with around 7 to go, I started slowing down. With 5 to go, I had to walk to eat a GU. The last 3-4 miles where very tiring, but after another review of my pace, they didn't suck. I was in the 9:30's for the last three miles (last week, my last mile was 10:00). So, overall, not bad, but not great either.

No comments: