Tuesday, April 1, 2008

2008 Suntrust National Marathon - Part 2

The Race

Overall, the 1/2 marathon was very good. The first mile was a little fast, as we were keeping up with all the other runners. We slowed down during the second mile, and we kept a good pace throughout. A week and a half ago, we ran 13.1 miles, but we did the 'Galloway' Method -- that is, we run a mile, then walked for 1 minute. Towards the end, we had to walk a little more, as My Lovely Wife's ankle was acting up. We weren't sure how we'd do during the real 1/2 marathon, but we agreed that we would run as long as we could.

There were some slow miles (usually during a long hill or a water stop), and there were some sub 10 minute miles as well. At 10 miles, we were running a very good pace, but My Lovely Wife did not want to know what it was. The last mile was also sub 10, and My Lovely Wife actually out-sprinted me at the finish line. We did the 1/2 marathon in 2:15 or so, or a 10:20 pace.

Like I mentioned during the last post, it was pretty cold at the start. For the first mile, both of our feet were pretty cold, but after we ran for a bit, we warmed up. As the sun went behind buildings or behind clouds, I needed to put my gloves on again, but since I was in shorts and two technical shirts, and it was a little breezy (plus it was in the 30's), I figured it was okay.

All in all, My Lovely Wife was very pleased with the run. It was her fastest time to date (a PR!) so it is giving her a boost as she prepares to begin training for the Marine Corp Marathon.

I need to begin my last month of intense training for the Frederick Marathon. !!! Problem is, I haven't! (oops!). I did notice though, that the marathon start is 6:30 am, so I got a hotel room ($). This beats waiting up at 3:00 am though for a 1.5 hour drive to the race....

No comments: