Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Found a new Gear!

Wow, I found a new gear today -- well, actually found a gear that I had put away a couple of years ago.  I was dreading the Yasso 800 workout today, and by the 3rd rep, was really feeling it.  However, on the 4th rep, I changed my running form and found my effort decrease while my speed increased (or, at least stayed the same).  I clocked in anywhere from a 7:43 to a 8:03 for each 1/2 mile rep, for all 8 reps, with the last one about a 7:58.  So I'm happy with that!

I'm not sure I mentioned this the last time I talked about Yasso-800's, but one of the things I read about them was that it's more of a negative test on the marathon, rather than a positive test. That is, if you can do them in your time-goal, that doesn't mean you can do the marathon in your time-goal. However, if you cannot do them in your time-goal, there's a good chance that you cannot do the marathon in your time-goal.  However, there's a lot of controversy around the whole thing.  Simply put, it's a good interval workout where you get extended time on your lengths at speed, plus with enough reps so that you are running at speed with depleted energy.  That's fine by me. 

I shouldn't have looked at the old post though -- I just read that I can the previous set *much* faster than today's set.  Should I be worried?

No comments: