Monday, May 31, 2010

Extreme Hill Workouts

After two hill workouts, my quads are toast  This weekend, my family spent the weekend at Wintergreen Resort.  It was a lot of fun.  We hiked, the kids did the climbing wall, enjoyed a beer fest, and all and all, just had a good time.  I ran twice in the mountains as well.

During the first run, I ascended 700 feet and descended 700 feet, with a total upper and lower altitude of 3900 and 3000 feet.  I ran 5.5 miles total, but due to the extreme hills, I had to walk up the steepest parts.  Even so, I managed a 10:50 pace, which, considering the hills, was pretty good.  I definitely felt my quads on the downhill portions (which I ended up running, or more appropriately, shuffling, instead of walking).  I felt great at the end though, and I was very glad I was able to run.

This morning, I ran *just* four miles, at a 9:48 pace.  This was just an altitude change of 550 feet, but all at one go.  I started out around 3,550 feet and ran down to 3,000 feet, then back again.  Needless to say, my first two miles (running a net downhill) was significantly faster than my uphill back.  However, I ran all the way up this time, although at times I definitely was shuffling, making a very slow progress.  Ironically, I was listening to a walk/run podcast during my first run (where I walked and ran) and listened to a podcast where they described how to run hills during second run (where I..um.. ran up the hills).  I kept my cadence up during the second run where I was shuffling along, so that was good.  Plus, if my quads weren't trashed the first time, they were definitely trashed the second run.  They hurt even now, a good 7 hours later.

Hopefully, this week will be better than my last week, where I ran exactly 1 time (the first mountain run described above).  There are so many hilly areas around here, I should take advantage of them.  Heading out 20-some miles out west, I can find some really good hills.  I just need to go out and do it.

3 comments:

Mohammad Yousuf Mulaifi said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

Quick How said...

Thank you for your wonderful efforts

whois domain find said...

Thank you very much for your wonderful