Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hellacious Blister

Two runs to note here, since my last post....

Friday, lunch time.  Decided to run in the heat of the day (mid 80's, hot, and humid).  Since I haven't acclimated to the heat yet, what's the best way to run? Right in the middle of the day!  No, not really.  It sucked. Big time.  I ran in my 5Fingers, thinking that I could increase my mileage in them by now.  However, I  knew I was in trouble because at 1.3 miles (while stopping at a light), I noticed that I already had hot spots on my feet where I usually get blisters on longer 5Finger runs.  This didn't bode well for my 5-miler...  At mile 4, I had to start walking... a lot, because my left foot was hurting really bad.  When I got back, I confirmed that I had a *huge* blister that went across two toes (in width) *plus* major bruising underneath the blister. When I popped it (I had to... I could hardly walk on it), it streamed a bloody pus (sorry, were you eating?) like a hose for a few seconds.  It didn't just dribble; it shot out! yuck.  Anyway, it still hurts to walk on and I think I bruised my foot as well, because...

Yesterday, I ran around 6:30 pm.  Again, it was hot and humid (around 84 at run time).  Still sunny, still very humid (the weather guy said it was the most humid day of the year so far).  I was supposed to do 6, but the time of day, the heat, plus the foot bruising (and probably another blister I can't seem to pop) beat me out of it, and I lumbered in with 4 miles.  I was exhausted as well.  However, I got 24 miles in this week, which is good, as I'm gearing up for some sort of race in the fall, and I need to actually follow some sort of training plan.  Maybe a 1/2 marathon in October, maybe a trail long run (by myself), still dunno what, but either way, I need to start officially training for something.

This past week I also started watching what I eat.  Not a diet, per se, but tracking how many calories I eat during the day.  It has got me thinking just how much I snack, and I *am* trying to keep the calorie intake reasonable.  I even add 110 calories of total calorie input I should have that day for every mile I run (this has an extra incentive to run more!).  I could not keep a static calorie intake if I ran, say, 6 miles that day.  I would be exhausted (and starving).  Besides, after running 6+ miles at a time, I get ravenous about 3 hours later. Thanks to My Lovely Wife to helping me track my calories.

3 comments:

Mohammad Yousuf Mulaifi said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful Article

sites like service said...

Thank you for this wonderful blog

kayan Association said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog