Saturday, July 26, 2008

Heavy Heart

It was with a heavy heart that I sent the email to the North Face Endurance Challenge, Washington DC, 50K event to cancel my registration. I'm not worried about the registration fee, I really wanted to run in the race. It would have been my first ultra distance race, and it would have been my first trail run. I knew I could do the distance (well, mostly knew), as I have done 5 marathons to date. I have been trail running only for a short time, but I really like it. Not only is it less impact on my legs, but the variation in the terrain combined with much better scenery was wonderful. My longest trail run was 10 miles (see entry from March 27), and it was very hard, but I loved it.

The problem is this -- right now, I don't have enough time to run. My 'triangle' is warped, mostly with work. Any other free time is with my family. Of course, my family takes precedence over 'personal time' -- I wouldn't have it any other way, but my personal time suffers. Oh well.

I don't have another race planned, but I should sign up for a 10K or something, just to get myself running again (oh, I haven't run in nearly two weeks -- that doesn't help my training...).

Hopefully, I'll post again soon with a run report.

1 comment:

JFSV said...

It's a shame that you don't get to do one of your favorite past times. We should always find a way to balance every aspect of life. In your case: the 'triangle' (I assume is Work, Family and personal time) is being heavily affected by the hipotenuse being work. I hear ya. I can't believe how many times I've LET work get the best of me.

Hopefully we will all find the balance soon, and that will help us all in our personal endevours.