Friday, July 4, 2008

Good Animal... Balance... Tests...

Okay, it's been nearly two weeks since my last run, and this blog is going to be all over the place (I think it's a sign.. or a theme)...

I've been working a lot lately, and I haven't run as a result. I have been way out of balance (with the ol' triangle -- work, family, personal fulfillment). I was glad to run today, although I didn't run first thing, but at 11:00 am (oh, I ran 6.12 miles at a 9:00 mile). Since I was running a whopping 6 miles (a long run nowadays), I decided to bring the iPod. I listened to Phedippidations (Fdip 142: Dr. George Sheehan - Personal Best). I gotta that that book. Steve talked about several things that helped crystalize what I have been thinking about lately -- in a way. Dr. Sheehan's book talks of several subjects, but one is his concept of a Good Animal -- where it is a person's responsibility to maintain his/her body the best way possible. Our body is a gift, and we need to take care of it. It is our duty. This is one thing that sorta helped crystalize what I have been thinking.

Another thing is Balance. I knew I was working a lot, and it has been taking a toll on my running, but more importantly, on everyone around me. Needless to say, I think that keeping things in balance makes you a better person. One thing cannot take control for a long period of time. Today I am trying to put things in balance. I am spending time with my family (and trying to stay in a good mood to boot!), I ran, but since today is July 4, there's no work. Don't worry about it though, I have been making up the work part of the triangle for some time :-)

Lastly, the Test. I have a feeling that over the past several weeks, I have been under a Test. Unfortunately, I think I have been failing in that test. It is my responsibility to maintain the order, the balance, the good animal, but I have not. When you are in the thick of things (or deep in the woods), it's hard to put your head up to see where you are headed. However, that's not an excuse not to. So, I admit that I have been failing that test, but on the good side, I now am aware that I haven't been doing that well, and I'm going to try to do better.

Not necessarily a running blog today, but check out Fdip! It was very good today.

No comments: