Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Single Digits...

Hoo... single digits this morning. 8 degrees.  The good thing was that there was no wind.  That would have been bad.  Otherwise, except for the ice patches on the dry surface (it should be reverse that -- dry patches on the ice surface), the run was, in the end, good.  Why in the end? Because halfway through the run, I was beat! I was huffing and puffing through the run, and it wasn't until the end when I realized that I held a pretty good pace -- for ice -- of 9:05, and indeed, as I ran in my own neighborhood, it was on one of the hilliest courses around.  I guess I was so focused on a) not falling, and b) finding dry patches in the ice, that I forgot where I was running.

8 degrees.... it really wasn't so bad.  In fact, I took off my mittons and unzipped my vest in the middle of my run as it was getting hot.

Hmmm... worried about running tomorrow though.  The roads are still really bad from the previous storm, and there's another storm coming today.  Somewhere between 5-20 inches, depending on where you live.  Since we live just a touch south of the main part of the storm, we should (hope) to be in the 5 inch range.  But, no school last Friday, no school this Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and who knows about Thursday and Friday.  Plus, the Federal Government was closed yesterday (Monday) AND today (Tuesday).  Serious stuff.

Oh, you want to know the secret to running on icy streets? Get out before the sun does.  If it's below freezing out, the ice will have frozen solid.  The sun will start to melt the top layer (even if its below freezing), so if you get out before dawn, the run will be less slick. That's your running tip of the day! :)

No comments: