Saturday, January 9, 2010

Good End to a So-So Week

Today, I ran 9.2 miles at Burke Lake Park (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/burkelake/).  I kept a good pace throughout (8:43) but snuck in a 4 minute break half-way through to eat a GU energy gel.  It was also a great place for my 'snow shoes' -- the running shoes with the screws in them (see this post for more detail: http://yagerrunner.blogspot.com/2009/12/icy-run.html).  It was light, puffy snow, on top of packed snow as well as several places of ice.  I didn't grip great on the ice (it was very hard ice), but I didn't slip too much either.  Plus, I was able to pound it up the hills (really they were gentle slopes) without fear of falling.


My first lap (4.6 miles around the lake) was run in almost total solitude.  I saw only two other runners on that lap, and it was quite peaceful (I also saw one deer).  Right at the end of the first lap, I was thinking that 4.6 miles was enough, but then I saw a whole bunch of other runners.  That kept me going, so I had a GU and took off on another lap.  The cool thing was that I saw the two other runners on their second (maybe third?) lap, as well as lots of other runners and walkers.  Not nearly as many as during the summer, but it was good to see so many on a cold winter day (24 degrees, 14 wind chill).


For fun, I left myself a note (of sorts).  At 3.5 miles, about 1 mile from the end of the loop, I purposefully ran on fresh snow at an identifiable location.  Then, on my way back the other way (I took a reverse loop the second time), I saw my foot steps.  In other words, the 5.5 mile John saw the 3.5 mile John (well, sorta).  Hey, you gotta so something on your long runs....


This week? eh...  I only ran twice before today, so only three times total for the week, for only 17.5 miles total.  A far cry from the 31.99 miles the week before, so I need to get myself in gear.  Hopefully, next week will be better.


No comments: