Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Explanation

In the last post, I mentioned increasing my mileage 10-20% each week, with no explanation. I actually got tired of typing, as I was leaning over the computer, afraid to sit down on the chair, as I was entering the blog right after my run.. Since it was 69 degrees and a little muggy outside, I was quite sweaty (TMI, I know). Anyway, here's my weekly mileage for the past several weeks. I'm trying to see if is there a correlation between my mileage and my injury, or if it's due to a treadmill workout:

Week of: Mileage
7/27: 24
8/3: 24
8/10: 17
8/17: 26
8/24: 30
8/31: 10


I increased my mileage about 20% from the week of 8/17 to 8/24. The latter week, I also did a 12 mile long run. I think that maybe treadmill running causes a slightly different gait, and that, combined with a 20+% increase in mileage, including a 12 mile run, created the injury. Hmmm... I'm going to need to think about this. I do prefer running outside, but don't want to remove treadmill running as an option, especially over the weekend....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Most of my leg injuries came from running on a treadmill early on in my training. I think it does alter your gait a bit. Raising the incline a bit helps. I definitely prefer the road to the dreadmill any day.

John Yagerline said...

Thanks for the feedback. I need to figure out some good treadmill workouts -- especially for the winter (not weekend, as posted!)