Sunday, May 25, 2008

Runner's High??

Okay, my last post was a week ago, but in my defense, I *did* run more than one time last week! -- okay, it was just yesterday, but I did manage to get a whopping 11.55 miles in for the week! The good news is that my weekly mileage is still over 30 / week. Not sure how though.

When I ran yesterday, it was all I could do to run to finish. My cardio was shot, and my legs got very tired. I don't know the exact pace I did, as my GPS ran out of batteries, but miles 2 and 3 were exactly 8:28 each. I think I slowed down towards the end, but my effort remained high. However, I never got to a point where I was enjoying the run. I was only thinking about it being over. Oh, I ran 6 miles.

Today, it was slightly different. I did manage to run again (another 6 miles), but this time I was thinking about what I needed to do to get back in shape. I wasn't as worried about just finishing. I thought about an earlier post (not sure which one) where I was saying that I shouldn't take more than 2 days off. Well, since the Frederick Marathon, it has been 3 weeks, and I have run exactly 3 times. And they have all been in the past 7 days. So much for taking short breaks!

Sometimes I wonder if the Runner's High doesn't occur during the run, but the feeling you have when you are *not* running when you *know* you can run X number of miles, or you *know* you can sprint up the hill, or you *know* you can pat yourself on the back because you put in a killer workout in the morning. Sometimes I think the Runner's High is the feeling good about yourself because you are a RUNNER. I've never felt so great during a run that I transcend into another reality. Mostly, on the long runs, I pretty much feel every ache and pain. Once in awhile, I do feel that I can run another 2-3 miles after an intense run, but I'm not sure that's the same thing. Maybe I've never felt the real Runner's High. But I do think that part of it occurs when you are not running -- when you know that you are a runner.

No comments: