Sunday, May 18, 2008

Frederick Marathon - Updated thoughts, plus first run!

Well, I managed to take two weeks off (instead of the planned one week off)... My first run back was this afternoon. I ran 5.55 miles at an 8:48 pace. Good pace, but I can't think much of it, as I was pretty well rested (anyone would be after 14 days off). We'll see tomorrow.

I had planned to take just one week off of running, but then work came roaring back into reality (well, it's always been part of my reality, but most of the time it doesn't totally overwhelm me). I was probably averaging 12-13 hours days, and since I was at the office at nearly 6:00 am every day, my running was put way back on the back burner.

However, my body *really* wanted to run -- so it seems. I have been waking up with calf cramps the past several days, and about 3-4 days ago, my quads hurt like I just did a hill workout. Just Friday night, just walking and standing, my feet cramped up so much I had to sit down and massage them. I think my body was saying 'just run already!!'.

So I did. Work had made me pretty tired, so mornings weren't working so well for me. I ran this afternoon around the neighborhood (the neighborhood 'long' loop). I felt good. My hip flexor was hurting from yesterday's 1/2 mile jog/walk with Number 1 Son (I don't get that at all), so I wasn't sure how I'd do. My body thanked me for running by not hurting though, so that was good.

A couple things about the Frederick marathon. First of all, THANKS for the comments. I know that there are at least TWO people who have read my posts now -- at least one of my posts. Thank you very much. As for the first comment, Yes, I meant minutes, not miles. Eating a sandwich and taking a bathroom break added about 3 miles to my time. However, as long as that felt in the first 10 miles, it wasn't much of a factor in the last 10 miles.

Secondly, whereas I was thinking for the first week or so after the race that I was not going to run Frederick again, this week I was thinking about what kind of hill workouts do I need to avoid getting killed on those hills. Guess I just needed some time. The timing of the marathon works out well, as it's not in the beginning of Spring, allowing me to get my long run in when it's not bitter cold outside. The location is nice, only about an hour to 1.5 hours from my house. The size is nice too. So instead of being a definite No for next year, it's in the the Maybe stage for now. Hopefully in the Fall, it'll move up even more in my thinking.

No comments: