Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Not Too Cold in O'Fallon

Okay, I haven't posted in a few days, but I have been running -- sorta...

This week I have been in O'Fallon IL and I continue to enjoy running here.  On Monday, I ran 6.5-ish on my favorite road -- Lincoln Ave.  It was in the 20's but I had packed enough clothes to not get too cold.  I ran a 9:06 or something like that.

Yesterday, I didn't run, but then again, it was in the teens in the morning, with a 20+ mph wind, making the wind chill about 0.  If I was at home, I *might* have run (but probably not), but I didn't pack the right clothes for this weather.

Today, I ran again.  I ran a new route, and I missed the turnaround point, thus making a 7.5 mile run into an 8.5 mile run.  I ran a 8:55 mile, so it wasn't too bad.  I just needed to be mindful of my overall time, as I didn't want to make myself late by running.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable run, although I might have overdressed (although, when it got windy, I felt under-dressed).  I ran within sight distance of a Veteran's Memorial, so maybe next time, I'll try to run by it.  From a distance, it looked very impressive.  Maybe it's karma, but I wouldn't have run by the memorial if I turned around when I was supposed to.

Oh, yesterday I purchased a Brook's LED arm band (at least, I think it's an arm band, but you could probably put it on your leg).  It's made of reflective material and it has 5 blinking LED lights.  I'm not sure how effective it is, but any active light is useful in the dark.  I wear a reflective vest, but I'm still pretty dark out there unless there is a light shining directly on me.  I like it.

Hopefully I'll hit my mileage goal this week, which would include a 14-16 mile long run (ugh).  I'd like to run on the Fairfax County Cross County Trail again, if I can fit my run in with the drive to and from.

No comments: