Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy 2009

Three days into 2009 and I've run two times already. That's quite a start. I doubt I'll be able to keep up a 66% run rate (get it?). Anyway, yesterday, I did run -- the standard 6 miler up the Fairfax County Parkway, and I did a 9:09 pace. I felt my left Achilles. That's not a good sign for 2009.

Today, in *trying* to keep up with My Lovely Wife's marathon training plan, I ran 14 miles. Ouch. I was planning on running on the W&OD bike/running/walking trail, but decided to run along the horse path next to it, to keep the impact down. Well, in doing so, I missed the bridge that crosses a stream. Well, at that point, I decided to keep the trail and run north, where it met up with the Fairfax County Cross County Trail. It was the first time I had been on that section of the trail. It was a very nice run, some very nice wooded sections and running along creeks and streams for a good part of it. It totally beat the W&OD trail for the scenery. Anyway, my pace suffered, which wasn't a bad thing at all, but I remembered the last time I did a trail run (at Bull Run Regional Trail), and that run kicked my butt. At the 12 mile mark, as I told My Lovely Wife, the wheels fell off. I had just picked up the W&OD trail again, and it was a long, slow jog back to my starting point. I had to walk twice in the last 2 miles. However, I did do 14 miles, but it was probably not a great thing to do.

I'm supposed to do 15 as my long run next week, but I'm thinking of dropping it back down to 12-13, to ensure that I don't injure myself any more than I need to :)

No comments: